Today’s post is short, but that’s OK. We’re ready for the weekend right?
I started writing this post with the intention of only sharing the Spicy Watermelon Skewers recipe, but then I started to feel like I was cheating posting something so simple.
Honestly though, it’s sweet, simple, and really really delicious; perfect for a back yard BBQ on a hot summer day and great to bring to a picnic.
To assuage myself of the guilt, I’m also going to recommend that you try a slightly modified version of the skewers in the form of an agua fresca as well — instead of skewering the melon, stick it in the blender!
Now you get two recipes for the price of one!
Spicy Watermelon Skewers:
- 1 small seedless watermelon (makes about 8 skewers)
- About 20 nice fresh basil leaves
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cut the watermelon into large chunks
- Skewer three to a skewer, placing a leaf of basil between the three chunks
- Sprinkle skewer with a touch of cayenne, chili powder, and sea salt
- Enjoy outside where you can get messy!
Watermelon Basil Agua Fresca
- 1 small seedless watermelon (makes about 3 agua frescas)
- About 6 basil leaves
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Maple syrup (about 2 tsp)
- Chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- Chop the watermelon up enough to fit it into the blender
- Add all other ingredients