Editor’s note: I’ve since rewritten this recipe and also created a Maple Bourbon Pecan pie too. Check out the updated Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe here.
As avid rock climbers who take every opportunity to get out to climbing destinations, we have basically resigned to rarely having Thanksgiving ON Thanksgiving Day ever again — this year, the plan is to head out to Bishop for some sport climbing and bouldering — so I figured I might as well make a pecan pie now. I mean, what’s a fall season without a pecan pie? (I’m from Texas, by the way. The answer is “no fall at all.” I also make one around Christmas time 🙂 ). I made this pie the same night I made the Spaghetti Squash Bacon Quiche — pie crust night!
Grain-Free Pie Crust:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs palm shortening like this (affiliate link)
- a few pinches salt
Mix almond flour and salt first in a food processor, then add egg and palm shortening. Mix until it forms a dough. Form crust in an 8 inch pie dish and set aside.
For the filling: This recipe is pretty sugar-tastic, so I won’t pretend that this pie is the most healthy dessert there is to eat — it’s not. It’s a treat for a couple of times a year. I will say though, that we’re using maple syrup and coconut sugar instead of corn syrup and brown or white sugar like most pecan pie recipes call for. It’s still sugar, don’t get me wrong. But it’s non-GMO, it’s lower-glycemic (at least the coconut sugar is), and both are less processed than the traditional sugars called for in pecan pie. I opted for topping half the pie with chocolate chips, because I wanted to satisfy every craving I could imagine having. And let’s be honest, two people are eating this pie, and one of them is me, so I might as well do exactly what I want to do.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbs melted ghee
- 1 1/4 cups pecan pieces or halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbs soy-free, non-GMO mini chocolate chips (If you want to skip the chocolate, add in another 1/2 cup coconut sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (rack should be low in the oven)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, adding in the maple syrup, coconut sugar, ghee, and vanilla
- Stir in pecans
- Pour into raw pie crust
- Cover the exposed crust with foil to make sure it doesn’t burn
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes, based on your oven